On. Jan. 28, officers of the Southern Nursery Association (SNA) who will serve for the 2020 term were elected during the 121st Annual SNA Business Meeting held at the Baltimore Convention Center, Baltimore, Maryland, during The SNA Conference. The election, open to all active SNA members, determines representation from the four geographic regions of the association:
Chapter 1 – Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia
Chapter 2 – Florida, Georgia and South Carolina
Chapter 3 – Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma and Tennessee
Chapter 4 – Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas
Rickey Minton, Triangle Nursery, McMinnville, Tennessee, was elected president succeeding Joseph Napoli, Athens Wholesale Nursery, Athens, Georgia.
The complete slate of 2020 officers and directors is as follows:
- President: Rickey Minton, Triangle Nursery, McMinnville, Tennessee
- Vice President/Treasurer/Director Chapter 4: Todd Ellefson, Windmill Nursery, Franklinton, Louisiana
- Director Chapter 1: Matthew Shreckhise, Shreckhise Nurseries, Grottoes, Virginia
- Director Chapter 2: Marcus Cook, Marcus Cook Farms, Gray Court, South Carolina
- Director Chapter 3: Jerry Blankenship, Blankenship Farms and Nursery, McMinnville, Tennessee
- Immediate Past President: Joseph Napoli, Athens Wholesale Nursery, Athens, Georgia
The business and affairs of the SNA are managed by a board of directors consisting of six members: one from each of the four chapters, the vice president/treasurer, the president and the immediate past president. Members of the board of directors are elected by the membership for one-year terms. When the director from any of the four chapters is elected to the office of the president, a new director from the same chapter is elected to replace that position.
While the SNA board of directors has general governing power, it delegates certain authority to committees, officers and staff in order to facilitate proper operation. The executive vice president, appointed by the president and approved by the board of directors, is the only paid officer and manages the day-to-day affairs of the association. Karen Summers currently serves as the SNA executive vice president.