The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund, created in 1989 by the Southern Nursery Association (SNA), has announced the names of 12 students from nine southeastern universities chosen to receive academic scholarships this year. Seven of the awards are named scholarships honoring past industry leaders. Each award of $1,500, totaling $18,000, has been presented to the following excelling scholars:
- Ellie Chetelat, Morgan State University
- Josey Lynn Darby, Texas A&M University (Dr. James & Faye Foret Scholarship)
- Alexandria Garcia, University of Florida (Richard J. Hackney Scholarship)
- April Elizabeth Hausle, North Carolina State University
- Chi Linh Dinh Nguyen, University of Florida (Arthur A. "Buck" Jones Scholarship)
- Lauryn Elizabeth Polito, Mississippi State University (Lee C. Howell Scholarship)
- Brian Alan Schulker, North Carolina State University
- Alyssa Renee Steele, University of Maryland (Art & Millie Lancaster Scholarship)
- William C. Tolley, Western Kentucky University
- Jason Edward Watson, Texas Tech University
- Jacob Logan Winkles, University of Georgia (Robert L. Vanlandingham Scholarship)
- James Douglas Zimmerman, University of Tennessee (Dr. Bryson L. James Scholarship)
Scholarship recipients are determined through a competitive application process, administered by a selection committee, based on academics, determination, demonstrated interest in the horticulture industry, and financial need. This year’s recipients were chosen from a very competitive group of applicants. Of the twelve students, six are graduate students and six are undergraduate students.
The financial support offered by the fund has allowed many students the opportunity to work toward their educational goals. With this year’s awards, the fund has awarded a total of $576,000 since the fund was established in 1989. The fund’s current assets are now more than $1,020,000. Eight named funds have been pledged to date: The Larry D. Edwards Fund, the Dr. James & Faye Foret Fund, the Richard J. “Dick” Hackney Fund, Sr. Fund, the Lee C. Howell Fund, the Dr. Bryson L. James Fund, the Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Fund, the Art & Millie Lancaster Fund, and the Robert L. VanLandingham Fund.
Interesting in establishing a Named Scholarship to honor a loved one, past industry leader or company? Named Scholarships are established with a commitment for $30,000 with a minimum of $5,000 to begin and fulfillment over the next 5 years. Once established, a scholarship will be made annually in the designated name.
Interested in supporting horticultural students here in the Southeast? Simply visit our website for details. They will appreciate your support and the industry will see a return on investing in them for decades to come. Thank you in advance for your support!
An application for 2022 scholarships will be available online by January 1, 2022. Those interested in receiving scholarship information or the latest fund news can subscribe to the automated information system on the fund’s website.
More details on scholarship recipients can be found at www.sbmsef.org. For more information on the Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Endowment Fund, forward your inquiry to PO Box 801513, Acworth, GA 30101, 678.813.1880, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.sbmsef.org.