According to a press release, a new book entitled “Shrubs & Hedges: Discover, Grow and Care for the World’s Most Popular Plants” will guide readers in choosing, planting and caring for shrubs.
Shrubs fill a lot of space in our landscape but despite their ubiquity, selecting and maintaining shrubs may remain a mystery to many. Shrubs are all-too-often inappropriately pruned into "meatball” shapes, or alternatively, left to become an overgrown tangle of branches. But as readers may discover, when cared for properly, these workhorse plants have much to offer. They mask foundations, delineate property lines, increase privacy, stabilize soils, provide food for wildlife and add beauty and interest to the landscape.
“Shrubs & Hedges” eliminates the ambiguities of shrub selection and care by offering:
- Advice on how to pick the best shrubs for your growing conditions
- Plant profiles of both dependable classic shrubs and new rising stars
- Step-by-step propagation instructions for making more shrubs — for free!
- Shrub identification tips
- A lesson on the value of hedges and hedgerows
- The best shrubs for pollinators and other wildlife
- Pruning illustrations and tips to maximize shrub performance and health
- Tips for designing with shrubs
Author Eva Monheim draws on her decades of experience in horticulture education (she’s the co-founder of Verdant Earth Educators (VEE)) and landscaping, to help anyone to grow beautiful, healthy shrubs.