The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) has announced several early enhancements to its highly anticipated 2022 PHS Philadelphia Flower Show, being held for the second time outdoors in Show history. “In Full Bloom” will take place in South Philadelphia’s Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park (FDR Park) from Saturday, June 11 through Sunday, June 19, 2022. Tickets will go on sale in mid-December with a variety of ticketing options and packages.
As the world evolves, the inherent beauty in nature restores us. One’s garden provides a place for healing and connection. The 2022 Philadelphia Flower Show, “In Full Bloom,” welcomes all as we journey to explore the restorative and healing power of nature and plants, while experiencing all that gardening offers to improve our lives. This year’s theme connotes good health, positive well-being, and a passion for life that culminates in a gorgeous and colorful spectacle. Guests will encounter outdoor gardens at the peak of seasonal perfection and beauty that will inspire everyone to plan for a better tomorrow.
In its second year hosting the Philadelphia Flower Show at FDR Park, PHS has taken feedback from guests, staff, and stakeholders to drive a number of upgrades to the Show. Below is a list of early enhancements based on guest feedback to provide an even more enjoyable experience over the nine-day outdoor event. Additional details will be announced in the coming months and available at: PHSonline.org/the-flower-show
* Guests will have the option to purchase a ticket for a specific date or, for additional flexibility, upgrade their ticket for the ability to visit any day.
* Specific timed sessions will not be implemented.
Transportation and parking
* Parking – Flower Show guests will have several options for official Flower Show parking close to FDR Park. Parking lots across the street from FDR Park at the NovaCare Center as well as at Citizens Bank Park and the Wells Fargo Center will have plenty of parking spaces for guests. Increased staffing and volunteers located within and outside of parking facilities will be available to assist guests with parking and Show-related questions. Additional digital billboards and directional signage will better guide guests to parking lots, courtesy shuttles, and the Flower Show ticket gate inside of FDR Park.
* Courtesy Shuttles – Courtesy shuttles will be provided from all Flower Show parking lots to the Flower Show ticket gate inside of FDR Park.
* Public Transportation – Public transportation is a great, green, and easy option to get to the Flower Show! A courtesy shuttle stop will be available to pick up guests near SEPTA’s NRG station with drop off at the Flower Show ticket gate inside of FDR Park.
* Lines – Two paved pathways (including an ADA accessible walkway) have been created to expedite guest passage to the Flower Show ticket gate. Additional staff and volunteers will be placed along entrance paths to provide information and assist guests with questions.
* A re-imagined Show layout for 2022 will focus on creating a vibrant, blooming path where visitors will experience spectacular floral and garden displays filled with bold color and dramatic beauty.
* Several additional experiences tailored to families, food lovers, and plant enthusiasts will be included throughout the Show.
* Shuttles – ADA accessible shuttles will be provided from all official Flower Show parking lots and the SEPTA NRG station with drop off at the Flower Show ticket gate.
* Mobility Equipment Rental – An additional location for mobility equipment rental will be located near the FDR Park entrance. If picking up mobility equipment at this new location, it is approximately 3 minutes to the Flower Show ticket gate.
* Accessibility throughout Show – Throughout the Show, visitor paths will have more pronounced and visible accessible entry points and thoroughfares. Additional ramps and accessible entry points to Show designs and features will be implemented throughout. Volunteer Access Ambassadors will again be onsite to assist guests. Flower Show venue maps will delineate ADA ramps and restroom locations.
* Heat Alleviation – Additional shaded seating areas will be incorporated throughout the Show grounds. Additionally, water misters will be utilized in the event of extreme heat.
* Ticket Re-entry Based on Weather Events – Inclement weather events will be communicated to all guests via PHS Flower Show social media channels and will also be communicated via the guest email address used to purchase tickets. Guests will be provided details about Show re-entry as soon as it is deemed safe for guests, staff, and other Show visitors to re-enter Show grounds.
* Flexible ticket upgrade will allow the ability to visit on any day.
Water, food and beverage
* Water – Complimentary water refill stations will be located throughout the Show and will be available dependent upon the City of Philadelphia’s Department of Health restrictions pertaining to COVID-19. Guests are encouraged to bring pre-filled, re-usable water bottles.
* Dietary Considerations – A variety of menu options will be offered to suit a range of dietary considerations including gluten free, vegan, and vegetarian options.
“The decision to host the 2022 PHS Philadelphia Flower Show outdoors was based on the continuing evolution and uncertainty of COVID-19. During this second year of hosting the Show outdoors, we focused on the plentiful public feedback we received and plan to incorporate many of those suggestions into next year’s Show. We thank the public and our partners in helping us further develop the outdoor Flower Show into a joyous and beautiful event that continues to celebrate the wonder of flowers and gardening for its 194th year,” said Sam Lemheney, PHS Chief of Shows & Events.
The decision to produce the 2022 PHS Philadelphia Flower Show outdoors was made to accommodate the continuing challenges and uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic. FDR Park’s spacious 15-acre footprint allows for social distancing and the associated health benefits of being outside. Public safety is a critical component for the upcoming Show, and adherence to recommendations from City/State health officials is paramount to Show planning. PHS will continue to work closely with health officials leading up to the Show with updated guidance available online.
Each visitor who purchases a Flower Show ticket, attends a Flower Show special event, or becomes a PHS member contributes to PHS to further its community-driven work planting trees, supporting neighborhood greening, establishing community gardens, providing job training, managing public gardens, and connecting people with horticulture and one another.
For more information or to submit feedback or questions regarding the Flower Show, please email: email@example.com
For information and to support this impactful work, please visit www.PHSonline.org