The Western Nursery and Landscape Association (WNLA) announced its keynote speaker lineup for the 2020 Western in Kansas City, which will take place from Jan. 15-17. Paul Westervelt of Saunders Brothers, Inc. will be presenting “Are they Better or Just New” at Thursday’s keynote address. In his talk, Paul will share some of the winners and losers of recent plant introductions.
Phil Harwood, managing partner of Grow the Bench, will be presenting “Creating a Modern Workforce: Emerging expectations of a new generation” Thursday afternoon. His presentation will address how workplace expectations differ by generation, and he’ll share how to successfully create a modern workforce. This keynote session will provide insight into these emerging expectations and tangible solutions to be implemented in response to them.
Following his presentation, Phil will be moderating a panel discussion with industry leaders addressing the following questions:
- What is working for you in recruiting?
- What are your methods?
- How are you approaching recruitment differently today than before the labor shortage?
- What are you doing to improve retention?
- What have you tried that didn’t work as well as you had hoped?
- How have you addressed compensation in an environment of rising wages?
- What does the industry as a whole need to do to improve attractiveness of landscape careers?
- What initiatives are already under way that you are involved in or supporting?