Sheridan Nurseries, Canada’s largest garden center retailer and grower, has been named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers by Mediacorp Canada, for its continued commitment to the environment and sustainability.
Winning employers are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Unique environmental initiatives
- Successful in reducing their own environmental footprint
- Employee involvement in the program
- Environmental initiatives are linked to the employer’s public identity
“Receiving the Canada’s Greenest Employers award for the second year in a row is a great honor,” Karl E. Stensson, CEO and president of Sheridan Nurseries said. “This award is a result of the dedication and commitment by our entire team to achieve our environmental goals. As a company founded on landscapes and plants, our standards of excellence for everything ‘green’ echoes our company values for over 100 years.”
A few of the reasons why Sheridan Nurseries was selected as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers:
• Noting its "green-thumb" line of business, Sheridan Nurseries is uniquely positioned to offer educational programs in the community, including the "Little Digger" program to introduce children to the plant life-cycle, the "Growing-up Green" school outreach program and the LEAF program to highlight native plant species.
• Construction of a massive water recapture pond to collect rainwater and water run-off from its growing operations -- the 117 million liter pond naturally filters water through a series of settling ponds and has significantly reduced the company's water draw from local sources.
“Over the years, we've seen a shift towards more formal programs and strategic sustainability policies, which reflect a long-term commitment on the part of employers,” Richard Yerema, managing editor at Mediacorp said. “This year's winners aren't afraid to address the adverse impacts of their operations and are charting the course for others in their industry."
Sheridan Nurseries has been a grower and purveyor of quality plant material for the landscape industry and gardening public since 1913. With a proud heritage and legacy for innovation, Sheridan Nurseries has grown to be one of Canada’s largest growers of hardy nursery plants and has eight garden centers in the greater Toronto Area. Growing over 1200 cultivars of perennials and hardy nursery stock on 350 hectares in Halton Hills Ontario, Sheridan Nurseries ships 1.8 million plants annually to markets across Northeastern North America. Widely successful cultivars that Sheridan Nurseries has introduced to the industry include Green Velvet Boxwood, Green Gem Boxwood, Ivory Silk Japanese Tree Lilac and DeGroot’s Spire Cedar.